Tuesday, March 2, 2010

When Oma* Comes to Stay...

...All sorts of wonderful things begin to happen! For example:

~Exotic and delicious foods suddenly appear in your refrigerator, such as hearts of palm, olive tapenade, sun dried tomatoes, and jalepeno jelly. We have been eating well for the past week :)

~Mommy gets a chance to feed baby in peace while Oma plays with the older kids. Next week I know that I'll be nursing Caroline in one arm while simultaneously making peanut butter sandwiches for Christopher's lunch with the other arm and calmly asking my two-year-old to please put the cookies back and come down from the counter!

~Your children will eat more than their fair share of donuts, fruit snacks, and homemade chocolate chip cookies, but the benefits of this unhealthy eating will far outweigh the negatives.

~The ratio of adult to child will be a blessed 1:1 for at least a few days. Soon we will be outnumbered :)

My mother has been here to help us with new baby Caroline, and we are relishing every moment! Caroline was born on February 24th at 10:39 p.m., on the eve of her scheduled induction. She weighed in at 7 lbs., 13 oz., and she is doing great so far! This is one of my favorite pictures of the big kids with Caroline - they were "reading" to her on Christopher's bed :) Thank you to everyone for your fervent prayers, we are truly blessed!

*Oma and Opa are what we call my parents (German for Grandma and Grandpa!)

11 comments:

Right Said Red said...

Wow! Love the picture. Maria looks so grown up--and a lot like her big brother Christopher. Can't wait to see more pictures of Caroline! What a great head of hair!!!!

B-Mama said...

Oh Kat! This is so great... Caroline is such a beautiful little baby. You all must be so smitten. I'm so glad your mom has been there to make the transition a bit smoother. Many continued prayers!!

Minecraft Master said...

Boy that head of hair reminds me of Dominick!! I love this photo. =) Mom and Dad told me about this one-you have to send them out to all of us please!!

Minecraft Master said...

P.S. Does my brother actually eat those exotic foods?! LOL...enjoy the visit!

Kat said...

Mary, yes he does, but sometimes he'll slip them onto my plate when Oma isn't looking :) He's being a good sport about the whole thing, although I think that the hearts of palm in the salad may have put him over the edge last night ;)

Melissa said...

Awww, my girls love to read to their baby sister too. And you are right to relish the help! My sister flew in for 2 weeks to help after our third, and she was amazing!

Elena said...

Finally, a picture! Thank you. Beautiful. You are ovbiously blessed with some good hair genes!

texas mommy said...

What a sweet, sweet picture! Caroline looks very well loved!

My husband always jokes about the contents of our refrigerator when my mom is in town, too!

Will continue to pray for a smooth transition!

Mary Alice said...

Thanks for sharing the sweet picture, it brings back such memories of the excitement big kids feel when a newborn comes home!

I love her name, is she named for JP2?

Kat said...

Mary Alice, yes, we had JPII in mind when naming Caroline, and considered spelling it with a "K" to make the connection a bit more obvious. I also like the story of Blessed Caroline Gerhardinger, a German nun who lived in the 1800's. She lived in Bavaria, which is the part of Germany that my mother and her family are from, and took the name Teresa in religious life. She had a great devotion to the True Presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament. And of course, I just like the name itself :)

AWOL Mommy said...

So, I have a four month old son, and his insane 25 month old brother running amuck in my life these days. My husband is deployed and my sanity is hanging on by a strand. Nonetheless, when I saw this picture of Caroline, I wanted to come to Texas, scoop her up and make her a part of our family for a couple of days. She is that cute!! Wow, love her. Thanks for the picture, Kat.