Friday, May 2, 2008

Unexpected Blessings

I never expected this week to be so fruitful.

I have to admit entering it with a pretty pessimistic attitude--never the best thing for supporting one's better half in the midst of stress! Yet I love how God shows us within our worries and downtrodden spirits that there is HOPE springing forth, eternal. He is good like that, you know?

It has actually turned into a fabulous week. The kids and I have flourished together (more than usual) and I've been able to take a little of the good kind of mommy pride away from the past few days. I have been able to see my children through the eyes of the Lord--as compassionate and dynamic works-in-progress, who delight in the day and relish opportunities to hang with their mama. What a wonderful gift this week has been.

Thank you, Lord, for blessing me even when I thought it was impossible.

Even when my beloved was wading through his last semester of law school finals.
Even when, like many of my friends, I have been on-call 24/7 without any help.
Even when I have faced my mommy guilt and mommy pride head-on.
Even when my blessed children have had less-than-loveable moments in the day-to-day.
Even when I had to administer pink eye antibiotics (enough said.)

You have shown me goodness.
You have shown me smiles.
You have shown me obedience.
You have shown me love.

Thank you.

3 comments:

Kat said...

B-Mama, I'm so glad that it turned out to be a great week! I think you're right...Sometimes when we are "on-call 24/7" because our spouse is extremely busy with something else, we can actually enjoy our time as mothers the most. I think probably because we deliberately put other tasks aside and devote ourselves fully to the day-to-day tasks of mothering. In a sense, we pull away from other responsibilities for a few days and just enjoy our families! We know it's not permanent, we know it's necessary, and in the end, God can really bless the time that we have given!

Don't know if that made any sense, but it was from the heart :)

B-Mama said...

Kat, yes yes!!
You hit the nail on the head--I have been putting aside other usual responsibilities and just enjoying my boys! You put it perfectly... and that's exactly what we've been experiencing.

Wouldn't it be nice as mothers if we could do this more often?

texas mommy said...

Thanks, B-Mama! What a blessing that a difficult week could be such a great one! I am especially reminded during this time of preparation for Pentecost how being recollected and deliberate and asking for the Holy Spirit's help can be such an aid!