Friday, June 27, 2008

Granola Recipe

In response to your requests, below is my granola recipe. What I love about granola is that you can really add anything to it (alright, not anything, but a lot of things). I have found that experimenting and omitting or adding things that I know my family likes makes the best granola for us. Here are the basics of what I use:

6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup natural wheat or barley cereal
1-2 cups sliced/crushed pecans/almonds (I like to use pecans b/c they are sweeter)
1/2 cup raw sugar or brown sugar (can omit or use less)
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2-3/4 cup apple juice or water (more water = more clusters, but you have to bake longer)
4 tablespoons of butter/safflower/coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1-1.5 teaspoons vanilla
1/4-1/2 cup flaxseeds
zest of one orange
Can also add: dried pitted cherries, seedless raisins, dates, dried rasberries, dried blueberries, dried peaches, etc.

Mix all ingredients together, oats should start to stick together in clumps. You should taste granola for right amount of sugar/honey. Spread on cookie sheets and bake at 300, stirring every 15 minutes until golden and slightly crunchy--about 1 hour. Stir in dried fruit after it has cooled. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I make something like this but I bake it at 200 or as low as possible for a few hours. I stir every hour or so. Somehow this is easier for me. I find the more honey I use, the more my family likes it! I omit brown sugar and use extra honey.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'm going to try this. By "wheat or barley cereal", I assume you mean a one-ingredient cereal, not a typical breakfast cereal containing wheat or barley. (Sorry if this is a dumb comment.) Is there a brand you recommend? Also, how long does the granola last if you store it in a tupperware, for example? Thanks!

Right Said Red said...

You can bake it at 200, less likely to burn if you do, but it takes several hours.

I buy wheat germ, toasted wheat germ, wheat bran, or barley in the food bins at my local health food store. You can also buy these types of "cereal" in a supermarket. I hope this answers your question?

As for how long it lasts, I don't know as my family finds it so delicious that it never sits for more than one week--but I know it lasts at least 1 week! I store it in a airtight container (canister or tuperware with a tight lid.

Enjoy!

And for dessert you can add chocolate chips and sprinkle on top of ice cream or pancakes--thanks Jane!

Mary Alice said...

I am thinking that I might try mixing in some Ezekial 4:9, it is this biblically based complete protein grain mix, it tastes kind of like grape nuts.