Sunday, June 8, 2008

Thankful


This morning, I am truly thankful for my husband, ET, and for all that he does for our family. He has been away since Friday for a weekend with "the guys," an annual tradition, and I know that he will come back refreshed and renewed - they're a great group of men! There's nothing like a weekend on my own with the kiddos to remind me of how blessed we are to have a daddy who is so interested in being involved in the day to day life of our family's life...C has been asking for his daddy all weekend, saying "I wish daddy were here. If daddy were here then Maria wouldn't be crying right now, and he could play on the Dawntreader (the ship from Narnia, made out of C's bed) with me." So sad :(  Don't get me wrong, we've had a great weekend with lots of fun, but there is something particularly lonely about being without daddy on the weekend, when everyone else is spending time together as a family - it's amazing that C already picks up on the difference between the weekdays and the weekend! In any case, we miss you ET and we're so thankful for you!!

On another note, I've thought that perhaps we ought to think of an alternative to the abbreviation "SAHM". Does anyone else find it particularly time consuming to either: 1) Hold down the Caps key for 4 consecutive letters, or 2) Press the Caps key at the beginning and end of the word? What if we simply called each other "homies" instead? Do you think it would stick? :)

Just kidding :)

5 comments:

B-Mama said...

Kat, we are also in BIGTIME Daddy appreciation mode here as well, seeing as our GG is with ET on the guys' weekend! After accomplishing so much in the last few weeks, including our move east, Daddy's departure on Thursday couldn't have come at a tougher time for the poor boys' transition. We were a mess Friday night and yesterday!

I'm happy to report, though, a wonderful rebound yesterday afternoon, evening, and now today! Not only are we so grateful to have a Daddy who loves, plays, and engages everyone and everything around him, but I am also reveling today in the satisfaction that mama still "has it". When push came to shove yesterday, mama was able to get it done (though it would have been even nicer and much easier to have Daddy's help)!! Thank goodness the end is in sight... :)

I send prayers and blessings today to all the single mothers, spouses of deployed soldiers, and widows out there. I admire you all the time, but especially after experiencing a taste of your life this past weekend.

Juris Mater said...

Kat, I was just thinking along these lines, too. My husband went out one night last week to a major league baseball game with Mr. Red--this is Red's and my (second) annual Father's Day gift to the guys. It it made me think about how hard my husband works--he gets guy time like this literally about once a year! On the other hand, my mom friends and I can meet up at the zoo, park, homes, wherever for outings most any time we like. Granted, we're sure not drinking beer (unless it's been a really hard morning) or double-fisting hotdogs, but I do have the luxury of a daily social life, regular changes of scenery, and frequent kid-friendly outings. The guys go to work, then come home and pitch in, then go to work again. Three cheers for heroic husbands and fathers!

Juris Mater said...

PS--I kind of like "homies" as this blog's code language for SAHMs. Plus SAHM has always sounded to me like a dark character from Lord of the Rings for some reason. Were you really just kidding about "homies"?

texas mommy said...

Ditto from Texas as well. We were away from Mr. Incredible for 10 of 11 days until this Thursday. We miss him like crazy when he's gone! Sooo thankful he's home. Jack-Jack won't let him out of his sight!

Right Said Red said...

Dad away on the weekends just stinks! My kids don't see Mr. Red much during the week, so if we miss him on the weekends (a rare occurrence), we are all at a real loss.

I too wish there was a better term than stay at home mom...