Oat, Fruit, and Nut Bars
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter (I used natural)
2 T. maple syrup (I would suggest real maple syrup)
1 T. canola oil
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla extract
2 c. oats
2 c. crisp brown rice cereal (I used puffed wheat)
1/4 c. toasted wheat germ (I didn't use this)
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I used almonds)
1/2 c. chopped dried apricots
1/2 t. salt
1) Combine honey, peanut butter, maple syrup, oil, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat just until bubbling, about 3-5 minutes, and remove from heat.
2) Stir in the vanilla
3) Combine oats, cereal, wheat germ, chopped nuts, chopped apricots, and salt in another bowl.
4) Pour peanut butter mixture over oat mixture and combine well with a spatula, making sure that all dry ingredients are coated.
5) Spray a 9 x 13" dish with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the mixture into the dish
6) Use wax paper to press the mixture down firmly
7) Cool, and then cut as desired
The estimated cost for making this entire recipe is $2.50 - $3.00, depending on what type of nuts you use. Not bad, considering these are natural and very delicious!
Quick tip: I sprayed the measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray before measuring the peanut butter and honey, and they slid right out of the cup instead of sticking!
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think. And if you have another variation, please share with all of us so that we can try yours :)