Monday, March 30, 2009

March Madness

While I absolutely love the highs and lows of the NCAA basketball championship, I prefer our family life to be a little less dramatic. Unfortunately, my preferences matter little in the grand scheme of things, and this past month was full of drama, joy, sorrow, suffering, and every other emotion in between. In the past, I have mentioned that March has always been a difficult month for our family, and this year was no different.

It all began with severe morning sickness--yes that's right, we are expecting another little one in October! The all-day nausea was far more severe than my previous pregnancies. Couple this with a pregnancy-related, very itchy rash covering my entire body, and I was pretty miserable. Eating very little, I soon experienced some fainting episodes, followed by some severe back pain. Other pregnancy complications led to an u/s, which showed a beautiful heartbeat--praise God!--and a very large cyst. I was put on bedrest until the 12 week mark for fear that the cyst could rupture and disturb the pregnancy. I have now passed that mark, and the nausea has improved a bit.

In addition to the crazy thought of a mother of 3 young children on bedrest, last week our entire family came down with a stomach bug. The baby ran a high fever, had a seizure, and I removed myself from bed-rest to take him to the ER. We were released in the middle of the night. After about 5 hours of sleep, I awoke to stomach pains. 24 hours later, I was severely dehydrated and heading to the ER. After 4 bags of fluid and some anti-nausea medication, I was feeling much better. I returned home to another vomiting child, and Mr. Red with stomach pains. It was quite a week!

Back in February, I was feeling pretty miserable and wondered how I would make it through the 1st trimester of this pregnancy. MaryAlice suggested that I just need to survive until St. Patty's day. And while she was off by about 1-week (I was in the hospital on St. Patty's day), we have turned the corner and things are better. The weather is improving by the day, Easter will be here in only 2 shorts weeks, and this past Monday I heard the baby's heartbeat!

March is almost over and April brings great hope. I am praying for an easier 2nd -trimester, less anxiety about the health of this baby, and improved overall health for our family. This is my 6th pregnancy, and I only have 3 healthy children, so I worry excessively while pregnant. Now that I'm able to eat, worries about the health of the baby are at the forefront of my concerns. I would greatly appreciate your prayers!

15 comments:

Kat said...

I don't know how you do it, Red, but somehow you manage to get through these incredibly difficult, crazy times in your life - what an inspiration you are to me! I am so relieved to hear that your nausea has subsided a bit, and pray that by Easter it will have passed completely - through God all things are possible! Praise God for hearing your baby's heartbeat, and I'm glad that you're all on the mend after your stomach bug - yuck. I didn't even know that you guys were sick - Tex and I were just talking about how you must be feeling better since you've been commenting more on the blog recently, but I guess we were wrong!

Elena said...

I don't know you but have come to love following this blog. I have to admit that I had noticed your absence as of late and couldn't help but wonder if pregnancy might be the cause for Red's low profile. I will definitely remember prayers for you as I have suffered through hyperemesis(sp?) with each pregnancy and many strange pregnancy scares. You are under Our Lady's Mantle - the finest place to be.

Kate E. said...

Red, I am in complete sympathy. You have definitely had it worse then me, but the constant nausea combined with family stomach bug was not pleasant. Still pretty nauseous here, but hoping that this is the last week of that?!

We are off the midwife tomorrow and I am hoping to hear that little heartbeat as well.

I am envisioning us prancing about healthy and happy all summer long, sound good?

In the meantime if all the builders could offer their prayers, a high school friend of mine who lives in our area just delivered her third son at only 23 weeks. He is at CHOP and facing some big surgeries over the next few days. Prayers for baby Hugh, his big brothers and parents too would be appreciated.

AWOL Mommy said...

Red, you inspire. Keep it real. Also, since you are feeling better, can you fix your links to the overpriced art supply thingy below? I want to copy you and buy one - but the links are not working and I can't find it by myself. I smiled peacefully reading about that heartbeat. AMEN!

Kerry said...

congrats Red! That's such great news!

Gail said...

Congratulations on the wonderful baby news! I'll be praying some Memorare's for you and your family. So sorry to hear about your terrible March.

B-Mama said...

You are a superstar, girl! SO proud of you for making it through such a difficult month. Know of our continual prayers for the babe, you, and a lamb-like end to March and start of April!!!! The Easter season is upon us--what joy there is to be had! Awesome news about the heartbeat--woo hoo!!!

This Heavenly Life said...

I'm so happy for you! We'll definitely be praying for a healthy and comfortable 2nd trimester (and 3rd for that matter). I can't wait to hear updates! God Bless you and your tiniest baby, Red!

Right Said Red said...

Thank you all for your well-wishes and prayers. I really appreciate it!

Kate E.--Congrats to you, and I will definitely keep your friend and her baby in our prayers. What a difficult situation.

Elena--Anyone who reads this blog knows me well enough to know that I am not usually quiet!

Awol--I updated the link to my cool organization thingy on my last post.

Alexis said...

Wow - that's terribly difficult. God had a real Lenty-Lent in mind for you and your family! I'll pray that Easter brings the joy that it promises into your life.

Joanne said...

I will keep you and yours in my prayers. I am six (!) weeks away from my due date and I still worry all the time too. Things are so much better once you start feeling good and once you hear that sweet heartbeat on a regular basis. I hope everything continues to improve and congratulations!

Catherine said...

Many blessings and much peace to you for the rest of your pregnancy! I'll pray for a happy delivery.

Mary Alice said...

Joanne I pray that you have a good labor, please let us know when your baby has arrived.

Red, I am so glad that you went public on this, I am terrible at keeping secrets, even in blog comments.

Teresa said...

Congrats Red and Mr. Red! I'm praying for the baby and the whole family...

MJDMom said...

Belated congratulations!
I will pray for your pregnancy as I approach my own labor this week.