Thursday, March 5, 2009

Two Year Old Jumbles

I wish I kept a journal of the memorable mispronunciations in the 18 month-4 year period... I am finding that Bella, almost 4, has mostly outgrown this. Bean, fortunately, has not!

His favorite character these days is Miss Cruella Clavel, the lady who both wants the 101 Dalmations' "furry coats" and watches over twelve little girls in two straight lines, the smallest of whom is "Madelion". I'm sure only a story-loving two year old could conflate the names of Miss Clavel, a French nun running an orphanage for little girls, and Cruella de Vil, "that devil woman" who dog-naps the dalmation mother's newborn puppies to skin them.

Any other good ones to share?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

when my son was 3.5, he started acting out distributing Ashes after we had gone to Ash Wednesday Mas. He would walk around giving us "ashes" and say "Turn away from the gospel and be faithful to sin."

I heard it so much in reverse, I have to stop myself now and make sure I say it right.

Mary Alice said...

I think Miss Clavel's is more likely a fancy boarding school than an orphanage, after all, her toys in the hospital come from "Papa."

Molly said...

When I was young, there was a prayer in my dad's Episcopal church that had the response, "Thanks be to God." I thought for the longest time that we were saying, "Thanks, speedy God!"

Kat said...

This is why I should write things down: I can't remember any right this moment, but I know that there are so many!

4ddintx said...

My dh used to to sing the hymn "all hail the power of Jesus' name, let angels prostrate fall" . His version was "let angels prostate fall"

Elena said...

My kids had a Madeline mixup as well. There is a song in one of the Madeline videos about if Pepito were the king of chocolate. The oldest two children had learned this song by heart and sang it throughout the day. In the midst of this, we went to Sunday mass when the bishop was celebrating confirmation. When he entered, my twins said quite loudly and with a gasp, "It's the king of chocolate." I hushed them and they responded, "Then it's the Poke." I imagine they were referring to the Holy Father. We haven't yet told our bishop.

Juris Mater said...

Cute! Thanks for sharing these!! The faith-related ones are always the funniest : )

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, MaryAlice.